"Where Everyone Comes To Find Out What's Going On in Granite City"
Welcome to GraniteCityGossip.com, established in 2006, to serve Granite City,
Pontoon Beach, Mitchell, Madison, Lincoln Place and all surrounding areas!
Summer is winding down here in Granite City, the kids are back at school,
and fall is just around the corner. Happy September!
Check out two of Granite City's
Big pots & lots of fun!
PLENTY OF PARKING!!!
|Thank you for visiting GraniteCityGossip.com, please come back soon. Last update September 4, 2009
|A local landmark that we often take for granted is visited by people from
around the world. GraniteCityGossip.com revisits our very own
Chain of Rocks Bridge.
In 1936, the Chain of Rocks bridge was designated part of US Route 66. In the St. Louis
area, Route 66 was originally routed across the Mississippi and into the city over the
McKinley Bridge. In 1934, The route was changed to the MacArthur Bridge. Each of these
corridors channeled traffic into St. Louis's warehouse district. Both options resulted in
congested downtown traffic, so the highway was rerouted a third time in 1936 to cross over
the Chain of Rocks Bridge. The bridge was built in July 1929.
This was a much preferred course as it brought travelers into the city from the north. Its
most noticeable feature is the 22 degree bend in the middle of the structure, thus allowing
river boats to align with the current. Ships needed a way to navigate through the bridge's
supports and around the two City of St Louis intake valves on the side of the bridge, but
there were only certain places on the Illinois side of the river with firm enough footing to
fully support the bridge. Thus the bend, which allowed for strong anchoring on both sides of
the river and safe passage for riverboats. While driving slowly, those traveling Route 66
could observe two beautiful, classically built water intake towers to the south of the bridge
that helps provide St Louis with much of its drinking water.
Intake Tower #1 was built in 1894 in the Romanesque style. It feeds water to the plant on
the nearby shore by way of a 7 foot pipe. Intake Tower #2 was styled after a Roman Villa.
Built in 1915, it contained living quarters for the crews who manned the gates, and ran the
H20 control equipment inside.
Built in 1927, and razed in 1977, the Chain of Rocks Amusement Park's location on the
bluffs of the Mississippi River over looking the Chain of Rocks Bridge made it one of
St. Louis' most picturesque spots. This view is of the Missouri side of the river where the
park is on a bluff high above Route 66. The park, a popular spot for weary Route 66
travelers, was built on land that had been proposed for use as the site of the 1904 St. Louis
Worlds Fair, which was held instead in Forest Park.
Click the pictures to enlarge!
|Who is that chillaxin' at the beach?
It's redsnake's little grandbaby
What a cutie!!!!
|The Granite City APA
Saturday, September 26
Click here for all the details
|The Best Little Hair House Gives Back to Those Who Serve on Friday, September 11, 2009
Free haircuts to all military, police department & fire department personnel from 9 am to 7 pm
Free chair massages from 11:30 am to 3 pm
Please present the appropriate I.D. at 2013 Johnson Road, Suite C
|To view previous versions of GraniteCityGossip.com, go to our
archive section. To read or submit an original article for
GraniteCityGossip.com, just go to "You Have The Floor"